97) Integrators for SAP/ETABS/CSC ORION/ADAPT design software are in the REVIT 2013 version.
For structures sensitive to architectural profiles, exporting an architect’s REVIT model into a structural analysis model requires the upgrading of the architect’s model into the REVIT 2013 version. Subsequently, the architect and M&E consultants need to use the same model version after the structural upgrade. Is it possible for the architect and M&E to continue using a lower REVIT version?
Autodesk)Integrators provided by the solution providers could be used to achieve interoperability between design software and Revit. As total interoperability between different software platforms and versions is still challenging, it is recommended practice for the entire project team to use the same version of software.
98) Autodesk and Bentley software applications are not interoperable. For MRT projects where consultants are only allowed to use Bentley for the rail track design but REVIT is used mostly for station design, the models cannot be ‘merged’ for a total study of the station and it’s connecting track.
Autodesk) To a large extent, information between Autodesk and Bentley can be exchanged via LandXML or IFC. In addition, Autodesk Navisworks and Bentley ProjectWise can also be used to merge BIM models created in Revit or AECOsim geometrically
99) The IFC format is supposed to be highly interoperable. However, even when a model is exported from REVIT to IFC and then re-imported back to REVIT, this produces haywire models. My office eventually decided to purchase the integrators developed by the respective design software companies rather than depending on the IFC format.
Autodesk) The IFC format is interoperable, but its strength lies in the exchange of Architectural models (which is how IFC started). There are still deficiencies in the exchange of Structural and MEP models between Revit and IFC. Users need to correctly map all attributes of objects that need to be exported/imported. Last June 2011, Autodesk had released the Revit IFC translator source code. This will enable 3<sup>rd</sup> party developers to build on open-source translators that suit their needs. Click here for more info: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ifcexporter/
100) Currently, vendors are competing among themselves in selling their products, taking advantage of BCA’s productivity initiative. They may not be keen on developing interoperability to drive productivity.
Autodesk) BCA is working with a group of leading C&S firms to address the interoperability issues between C&S software. The group has tabulated the gap in model exchange mapping and is holding ongoing dialogues with the respective vendors on workarounds and modeling guidelines to go around known limitations.
101) Why the file size of native Revit file .rvt is comparatively large as compared to other BIM software (e.g. Bentley’s .dgn and Tekla .db1 BIM models)? Any particular reason for this difference.
Autodesk) Wishlist Item
102) What can a Revit user do aside from purging and delinking CAD & Revit models that can substantially lower its file size.
Autodesk) Please follow the Best Practices Guide for Revit. You can download at http://seek.autodesk.com/revit.htm
103) Ability to learn Revit API in shortest possible time for ordinary users using step by step guide
Autodesk) Autodesk Developer Network (ADN) (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=472012) program enables users and firms to access resources to develop applications on our technologies. API training is available for all ADN members. In addition to these trainings, there are multiple sources on the web (developer blogs, forums) where our community provides tutorials, how-to’s, sample scripts for the API. Any google search with Revit API blog will provide a list of resources. An example of these can be found here: http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/